Friday, November 5, 2010

Feeling crappy

In less than two weeks I've gone from feeling pretty decent to feeling god awful. I am trying my hardest to not let this turn into something but deep down I feel it's time for IV's once again. Oral antibiotics seem to do absolutely crap for me lately. I hate the fact that I know at certain points, when it's more than a little cold and that my secretions are getting thicker and darker that IV antibiotics are the ONLY thing that are going to make me feel better. I have been drinking so much water that I literally run to the bathroom every hour. Trying to flush whatever this is out of my system just isn't working. I added an extra 10-15 minutes of using the percussor (which I dug out of the closet, it hasn't been used in years) after my vest therapy.

As far as medicine compliance goes I have to say I am extremelyyyy vigilent. I make sure that my chest PT is done, my nebs are done and all of my pills are taken. There are however two things that I am still struggling with.

One is exercise. I hate exercising. I really do. I have read SO many blogs and articles about how exercising is the best thing for CF and yet still I am reluctant to make it my priority. I know I have to add it in and be commited - but I don't know how someone goes from having trouble walking up a flight or two of stairs to becoming a full fledged gym rat. I WANT to be that gym rat - I just don't know how to get to point A to point B.

The second thing I need to get more serious with is insulin. I take my standing dose of insulin every day but I sometimes forget to cover my carbs, especially if I am out eating and not in the comfort of my own home. I was diagnosed with CFRD when I graduated college in 2006. For the first three years I didn't have any complications. I took an oral hypoglycemic pill before meals and that maintained my blood sugars at regular levels. The last year however it's gotten worse. For the first time in my entire CF life I had trouble with my weight. I lost about 15 pounds in a short amount of time. I was started on insulin and was very good with it at first. I even bought a journal where you wrote down your sugars in the morning, before meals, 2 hours post meals, before exercise and before bed. My problem now is that I feel even when I count my carbs and take the exact dose that I need 1 unit per 15g of carbs, I sometimes get really hypoglycemic after. And that my friend, is the WORST feeling ever. I get so shaky and dizzy and just feel like I have no control over my body. I absolutely HATE that feeling. I've actually talked to my doctor about this and we discussed possibly getting an insulin pump. Apparently some insurances don't cover it but luckily mine does. So I have the number of this endocrinologist and I am going to give it a shot. It's not that I want another medical device to scream, "Hey, i'm sick!" but if this pump infact does make it easier to not get those dreaded low sugars and I don't actually have to stick myself with insulin multiple times during the day - I figure why not. It can only help. If I don't like it, I can always say no thanks - I'm done. So we shall see!

No comments: