Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Post Transplant Goals

While I am waiting for the call to come I thought it would be fun to start thinking about some of the things that I would like to do when I am recovered and feeling great. I want to challenge myself and do things, whether they scare the living shit out of me or not. I truly want to live life to the fullest and experience as much as life as I can. My sister Christine said that if I decided to do such things as sky-diving, surfing etc. (which by the way are most likely going to be on the list), that she would like to do it too. I'm excited to experience things I have never experienced before, but more than that I can't wait to do the things that I used to enjoy and no longer can. I can't wait to be able to go skiing with my whole family. Now my niece and nephews are old enough to ski, so our family vacation will be so exciting. I can't wait to just work out and push the limits. One thing I have definitely regretted is not being more active with exercise. I would always get started and get in a routine, but as soon as I started feeling crappy, I let that be an excuse to stop, when in reality I should have just pushed harder. I guess that's one of the biggest life lessons I've learned. And for anyone with CF now, who's health and PFT's are still at a pretty good spot - PLEASE, take my advice and exercise your ass off. It can do wonders. Just check out amazing fellow CF'ers like Ronnie Sharpe and Jerry Cahill. A CF friend of mine from clinic has even run the NYC marathon a few times (and not with new lungs, with his original yucky CF lungs). I can't wait to take a deep breath and not have a huge coughing fit afterwards. I can't wait to travel around backpack free (my liquid oxygen backpack - my friends have ever so graciously named me Dora). I can't wait to wake up every morning and be able to stick to my plans because I KNOW I'll feel good. Today I was really looking forward to hanging out with one of my best friends Sara and our friend Aurora who we haven't really seen from HS, but I had a crappy night sleeping, my lungs felt super tight and I just could not get out of bed. I HATE that feeling. I also want to give back to the CF community in someway. Whether it's fundraisers, or volunteering for some of their functions, giving speeches. I just feel like If I get this second chance at life, I want to make the most of it and I want to be someone that people can look up to!

No comments: